Electrical Color Wire Meanings
Have you ever tried to upgrade a standard outlet to a USB outlet? Once you take the cover off, you’re inundated with a million multi-color wires? Well, we’ve put together an infographic to help you!
Knowing Wire Colors Can Really Save Time
- Green wires are typically for grounding.
- Black wires are used for power.
- Red wires deliver a secondary live wire in a 200-volt circuit.
- White/gray wires are used as neutrals (but can still carry a charge).
- Bare copper wires are used for grounding to metal.
In the past, we’ve run into problems where customers have bought houses where the wiring work is not up to code, and has the wrong colored wire… If you feel you may have this issue, call us immediately.