Why Your Home Needs Electrical Maintenance
It’s important to keep your home’s maintenance in all areas up to date to ensure your safety and help save you money. Electrical maintenance will prevent problems, boosting the performance of your electrical system while protecting your home and family. Keeping up with your home’s electrical maintenance needs will ensure your electrical system is in good condition while improving the value and comfort of your home.
Our F.H. Furr electricians can help you with any electrical maintenance, repair, or upgrade to meet all your home’s needs.
Areas Where Electrical Maintenance Is Needed
Your home’s electrical system is made up of a number of components, each of which should be checked and maintained regularly for safety and optimal performance. Switches and outlets are the most visible and common, but you should also regularly inspect your home’s lighting system and circuit breaker for any damage or wear.
If you use a surge protector to prevent power surges that could damage your appliances/electronics, it should be checked regularly for any damage as well. Whole-home standby generators (external power generators) that provide power in the event of a storm or other power interruption should be maintained as well, so they’re ready when needed.
Major Benefits of Electrical Maintenance
Electrical maintenance is part of your home’s overall preventative maintenance plan. Electrical problems can cause inconvenience and discomfort and could even pose a risk to your family’s safety.
Regular maintenance inspections will also keep your home’s electrical systems functioning at peak capacity, keeping your utility bills low and prolonging the life of each component.
Listed below is our electrical safety and reliability inspection and what it entails. Electrical safety and reliability inspections help:
- Ensure the safe operation of electrical components in your home
- Identify common electrical mistakes made by other contractors or previous DIY homeowners
- Identify outdated or degraded wiring
- Identify oversized fuses or breakers that could become fire hazards
- Reduce energy costs
- Maintain insurance and warranty requirements
- Increase your home’s value
These are some things our inspection covers:
- Light switch and wall outlet operation and condition
- Lightbulb wattage verification
- Verify properly operating arc fault circuit interrupters (AFCIs)
- Identify shock or electrocution hazards
- Identify any exposed wiring
- Check for operation of all safety and security lighting
- Validate proper surge protection
- Confirm grounding systems
- Verify smoke detector placement
- Testing of smoke detectors
- Testing of carbon monoxide detectors
- Outdoor electrical system examination
- Electrical panel operation, amps, and label inspection
- Inspection of wiring to the meter
- Inspecting the main disconnect
If you have any questions or concerns, contact F.H. Furr Plumbing, Heating, Air Conditioning & Electrical.