5 Signs That Your Water Heater Is Done?
Ask F.H. Furr: What Are Some Signs That My Water Heater Is About To Die?
This question was posed by Fred K. of Centreville, VA.
Fred, as a business that specializes in plumbing, heating and air conditioning, we’ve heard lots of different things from our customers who have suddenly discovered the pain of a broken water heater. We’ve heard things like “I didn’t even know something was wrong with it”, and “Just fix it, quick!” An unexpected temperature drop in the water can leave you shivering, especially as the weather gets colder. If your water heater breaks down, you could be stuck shivering in the shower, trying to catch your breath!
Instead of being a victim of the cold shower disaster, we’ve got a better solution; know the warnings signs! Most appliances give off subtle signals, and your water heater is no different. You might not be expecting to see these signs, causing them to escape your notice.
You may even dismiss them as normal wear-and-tear problems, but to avoid an Arctic shower, pay close attention if you begin to notice any of these 5 signs!
- Water temperature problems. If you and your family’s routine has stayed the same but the hot water doesn’t seem to stretch as far, it could be a sign of trouble to come. Consider whether someone adjusted the thermostat or if you’ve had more guests than usual, if not, you may need to consider that your trusty water heater isn’t as trusty as you thought.
- Rusty or dirty water. Rust is the kryptonite of water heaters. Minerals commonly found in the water supply in Virginia attack the seal of the tank and generate and promote corrosion. Yes, you read that right, just by living in our great state your water supply is doomed. If your water is any less than crystal clear, it’s time to call F.H. Furr!
- Snap, crackle n’ pop. If your water heater is doing an impeccable impression of a popular breakfast cereal, it could be time to call in the professionals! These noises are the result of years of water being heated and cooled. As water heats, it expands and hits minerals that have precipitated out over the years, causing a gravel-like sound. Strange noises are the long, slow death of a water heater, so if you begin hearing something funny, the time to act is now.
- Water that smells funny. If your water smells metallic, sulfurous, or just strange in general, it may indicate that minerals have built up in the tank to an unhealthy level.
- Leaks around your water heater. This is never, ever, ever normal. If you notice a puddle around your heater, immediately pick up the phone and give us a call. The corrosion inside your tank has now eaten its way through the steel, and you are very close to having a big problem. You might be in the market for a new water heater.
If you have any of these issues, it’s just a matter of time before you are going to need a good, affordable Fairfax plumber. Especially one that can get out there the same day, so give F.H. Furr a call and see what “Absolutely the Best” really looks like!
Once again another great question. Feel free to give us a call or ask anything about your HVAC, plumbing or electrical needs.