Top 10 Ways to Keep Your Home Warm and Pockets Full This Winter
We all know the energy bill reaches steep peaks during the summer and winter months. So to help you all out, we’ve put together a list of some simple ways to lower your bill this winter while staying warm. We hope you enjoy our list of cheap heating tips and tricks, but of course, you’re welcome to give us a call if you’re looking for more ways to improve your home’s energy efficiency. For all your Fairfax, VA heating needs, call us at (703) 690-0449.
- Take advantage of the daylight hours by opening the curtains and blinds for the sun-facing windows. Be sure to close them when it gets dark to provide as much insulation against the cold as possible.
- Cover the cracks and air spaces around your home with caulk or weather stripping. For bigger gaps under doors or at the bottom of old windows, lay a towel or a blanket to keep warm air from seeping out.
- Utilize your winter wardrobe. Pull out the sweaters and sweatpants this season to stay warm. Always remember to wear socks and even a comfy hat to bear the cooler weather.
- If you have hardwood or tile flooring, cover large areas with rugs. This is a great way to mix things up with your home decor every season as well.
- Install a programmable thermostat to lower the temperature at night and while you’re away at work. There’s no need to keep your heater on full force when you’re not using it, and using a programmable thermostat can pay for itself in just one month. More importantly, they can save you money year-round.
- Bake a pie. This one sounds a little funny, but when you do bake cookies or a pie, or cook something on the stovetop let the heat warm the house. Leave the oven door open as it cools and avoid turning on the vent for your stove. Just be sure to warn others and keep children out danger from hot oven doors.
- Change your furnace filters monthly. Changing your filters will improve the efficiency of your heater and extend its life. A happy heater means a low bill.
- Congregate in rooms with others. During the holiday season, the easiest way to stay warm is to spend time with your friends and family, (OK maybe not the EASIEST way). All joking aside, be sure to keep unused rooms closed to keep the heat from dissipating throughout the house.
- Pile on the blankets every night. There’s nothing better than cuddling up under a heap of blankets on a cold night. Doing this will allow you to lower the temperature on your programmable thermostat and bear the lower night-time temperatures.
- Get a furnace tune-up. One of the best ways to lower your energy bill is to make sure your heating system is working properly. Right now you can get a 21-point heater inspection and tune-up from F.H. Furr Plumbing, Heating & Air Conditioning for only $67. Doing this will allow you to catch minor problems early and have them repaired, or find major deficiencies that are raising your heating bills.