Top 5 HVAC Maintenance Mistakes for Homeowners
Your home’s HVAC system takes care of you, so returning the favor is the best way to get longevity and life out of your system! It’s true that it is a year-round job, but doesn’t take much at a time to keep your system’s maintenance up-to-date and ensure your system is keeping you warm OR cool no matter the season!
Here are our top 5 HVAC maintenance mistakes and how you can avoid making them!
1. Not Replacing Filters Regularly
- This is one of the most frequently skipped pieces of maintenance, but yet one of the easiest! We recommend that your filters be replaced with each season. This could be necessary more often depending on the area you live in and the air quality there, if you have pets in your home, or if you have allergy sufferers in your home.
2. Inadequate Cleaning
- No, we don’t mean your home itself! We are sure it’s just sparkling clean! We’re talking about your vents, filters (see above), ducts, carpets, etc. Not only does this help extend the life of your HVAC system, it will keep the air in your home cleaner as well! Plus, as an added bonus, it will usually help you keep your energy costs down!
3. Being TOO Frugal With Costs
- Not all the time, but sometimes (and many times) paying the cheaper price may cost you more down the road. Here’s an example: Coffee Makers. Sure there’s an off brand coffee maker that is only $20, but there’s also a name brand coffee maker that is $80. The $80 maker comes with a 5 year warranty and guarantee whereas the $20 maker only has a one year plan. If you have to replace the $20 every year, by the time you buy 5 of them, you’ve spent more than you would have on the $80! But we digress to the point – sometimes it’s better to pay a little more for a better quality product and a company that stands by their work.
4. Not Adhering to Manufacturer Directions
- When you get a new system – read the directions! We aren’t necessarily suggesting that you sit down and read every word like a novel. But it’s a good idea to read and find out what is expected of you as the system owner. Know when and how often you should have the system checked as well as what the other schedules may be for your system. Does it recommend how often you change your filters? Seasonal check-ups? Yearly? Knowing about your system protects you, your home and your investment in your system!
5. Skipping Maintenance
- Here at F.H. Furr, we recommend maintenance of your home’s HVAC system when the seasons change. When switching over from heating to cooling or vice versa, it’s always a good idea to have your system checked out to ensure that it is running smoothly and working in the most cost effective way!
Being a homeowner is hard work, but it’s certainly one of the most rewarding experiences as well! F.H. Furr wants you to know that we’re right here for you when it comes to maintaining your home and ensuring that your investment is running smoothly!