Your risk of being exposed to carbon monoxide increases significantly if you avoid HVAC maintenance inspections.
F.H. Furr takes the safety and well-being of our customers very seriously. That’s why we want to send out a reminder for all homeowners out there to protect their families against carbon monoxide poisoning. If you own fuel-burning appliances, including your heating system, you are not excluded from the need to protect your home against carbon monoxide poisoning.
According to the CDC, at least 430 people die in the U.S. from accidental CO poisoning annually, and approximately 50,000 people in the U.S. visit the emergency department each year due to accidental CO exposure. That's a terrifying statistic!
Here's What You Need To Know About Carbon Monoxide (CO):
- CO is colorless, odorless, poisonous, and deadly.
- CO is caused by partial burning of fuels: coal, wood, charcoal, oil, kerosene, propane, and natural gas.
- CO is produced by products that run on internal combustion engines like vehicles, lawnmowers, portable generators, and power washers.
Symptoms Of CO Poisoning May include:
Nausea, fuzziness, fatigue, headache, vomiting, confusion, unconsciousness, loss of muscle control. In severe cases, CO poisoning may result in death, so don't take this lightly!
How To Protect Your Family From CO Poisoning:
- NEVER use fuel-burning products indoors
- NEVER use or service fuel-burning appliances without adequate knowledge
- NEVER leave your vehicle on in an enclosed space such as a garage
- NEVER attempt to heat your home with appliances such as ovens or dryers
- NEVER leave your gas stovetop on unattended
Ensure all appliances and systems are installed and used according to the manufacturer's instructions and building codes! Having your heating system and other fuel-burning appliances serviced by a professional technician is vital to protecting your family from carbon monoxide poisoning. In addition, F.H. Furr also urges you to invest in a CO alarm system like the Nest Protect and be sure it's installed by one of our skilled electricians for optimum safety.