DON'T PUT THAT DOWN THE DRAIN!
Hamburger grease, potato skins, coffee grounds, disposable wipes, how many of us are guilty of dumping these items down our plumbing drains? All of these things are so easy to just toss down the drain as it’s a quick disposal option. But the few extra steps to put them in the trashcan instead will be beneficial in the long run for the pipes in your home!
Did you know washing certain foods or oils down your sink can coat the walls of your home’s pipes or even cause a complete blockage? For homeowners who dabble in art, paints and polishes can do the same damage.
Consider These Tips For Proper Sink Care:
- Soak up grease from meats and cooking with a paper towel or pour into a bowl and throw out once it isn’t hot.
- Rinse paintbrushes in a bucket.
- Install drain guards to keep larger pieces of food or hair out of the drain!
When you’re rinsing and scraping plates and washing them or putting them in the dishwasher, you might think the easiest thing to do is just run the disposal after. WRONG! Sure smaller bits of food are fine, but keep an eye out for things that might jam your disposal or clog sewer lines!
Consider These Tips For Proper Disposal Care:
- Don’t wait until it’s full to turn it on!
- Don’t wash ANY oils or fats used in cooking down the drain!
- Avoid putting starchy or stringy waste into your garbage disposal.
No matter what a package says, it’s really not okay to flush anything other than toilet paper. “Flushable” cat litter can easily collect in your pipes and cause clogs. Baby wipes don’t actually break down enough and can accumulate either in your pipes or even as far as a sewer treatment plant. Paper towels and even tissues are the same and won’t break down enough to pass through pipes either.
Consider These Tips For Proper Flushing Protocol:
- Only flush toilet paper, and not in great quantities.
- Never flush feminine products, paper towels, or wipes.
- For homes with kids, put child locks on toilets to prevent items being tossed in and lodged in the pipes.
If you’re experiencing a clogged drain or broken garbage disposal, call on the expert plumbers at F.H. Furr! We’ll send a plumber to your home for free to diagnose the issue!