F.H. Furr takes the safety and wellbeing of our customers seriously; that’s why we want to send out a reminder for all of you homeowners out there to protect against carbon monoxide poisoning. If you own fuel-burning appliances, including your heating system, you are not excused from the need to protect against carbon monoxide poisoning. The Center for Disease Control and Prevention reports that nearly 400 Americans die annually from CMP, and over 20,000 are hospitalized each year. Refer to the Center for Disease Control website for more information.
What do I need to know about Carbon Monoxide?
CO is colorless, odorless, poisonous, and deadly
CO is caused partial burning of fuels:
Coal, wood, charcoal, oil, kerosene, propane, natural gas
CO is produced by products that are run by internal combustion engines:
Vehicles, lawnmowers, portable generators, power washers
Symptoms of CO poisoning may include:
Nausea, fuzziness, fatigue, headache, vomiting, confusion, unconsciousness, loss of muscle control
A severe case of CO poisoning may result in death
How do I protect Against Carbon Monoxide?
NEVER use fuel burning products indoors
NEVER use or service fuel burning appliances without adequate knowledge
NEVER leave your vehicle on in an enclosed space such as a garage
NEVER attempt to heat your home with appliances such as ovens or dryers
Make sure all appliances and systems are installed and used according to the manufacturers instructions as well as building codes
Having your heating system and/or other fuel-burning appliances serviced by a quality technician is a vital asset to protecting against carbon monoxide poisoning. In addition, F.H. Furr also urges you to invest in a CO alarm system (make sure it is installed properly!).
Contact F.H. Furr to discuss our preferred maintenance plans and take the first step to protecting your home and loved ones against this dangerous intruder!