“My outlets seem really warm to the touch. Could that be dangerous? ”-Question Submitted by Ashley C. Fair Lakes, VA
Ashley, we're so glad that you are keeping up with your home's electrical safety. Many homeowners don't pay the necessary attention to their electrical work. This can often cause dangerous fire hazards and potential home damage. Electrical issues are some of the most common reasons for household fires. To protect your home and family, staying aware of your electrical systems can help prevent disasters. When an electrical outlet feels warm to the touch, there could be an electrical issue happening behind the scenes. Although in most cases this isn't hazardous, all electrical problems, left unfixed, can become dangerous.
Discovering the Cause:
Although there could be several causes, the most likely are that you've got an overly large electrical load operating on that outlet, undersized wiring or a loose electrical splice. It's not unusual for dimmer switches to be warm, but a noticeable rise the temperature of an outlet should be monitored.
Solution: Call in an expert to look for a loose splice, melted connections, or burned insulation. They can also evaluate the wattage of your device; it may be too large relative to supply wiring.
At F.H. Furr, we encourage you to have a professional electrician come out to your home and perform an electrical safety inspection. These check for:
- Light switch and wall outlet operation and condition
- Light bulb wattage verification
- Verify properly operating arc fault circuit interrupters (AFCIs)
- Identify shock or electrocution hazards
- Identify any exposed wiring
- Check for operation of all safety and security lighting
- Validate proper surge protection
- Confirm grounding systems
- Verifying all smoke detector placement
- Testing of smoke detectors
- Testing of carbon monoxide detectors
- Outdoor electrical system examination
- Electrical panel operation, amps and label inspection
- Inspection of wiring to the meter
- Inspecting main disconnect
- And much more.
Consider having your home checked today!