Why You Need a Water Heater Flush & the Benefits of a Water Alarm
Water heaters are a crucial component in most households. They provide hot water for cooking, cleaning, and bathing, making our lives more convenient and comfortable. However, many homeowners don’t realize the importance of regularly flushing their water heaters.
A water heater flush is the process of draining the tank and removing any sediment or mineral buildup that has accumulated over time. This buildup can cause several problems, including decreased efficiency, increased energy bills, and even damage to the water heater.
Here are some reasons why you need a water heater flush:
- Increases efficiency: When sediment builds up in the bottom of the water heater tank, it can make the heating element work harder to heat the water. This can result in decreased efficiency, meaning your water heater has to consume more energy to heat the same amount of water. Flushing your water heater can remove this sediment, allowing your water heater to work more efficiently.
- Reduces energy bills: By flushing your water heater regularly, you can ensure that it’s working at peak efficiency, saving you money on your energy bills.
- Increases life span: A water heater that isn’t properly maintained will have a shorter life span. By regularly flushing your water heater, you can extend its life span, saving you money on costly repairs or replacement.
- Improves water quality: Sediment buildup in your water heater can affect your water quality. Sediment can cause your water to be discolored, taste metallic, or even have a foul odor. Flushing your water heater can result in better-tasting and better-smelling water.
- Prevents damage: Over time, sediment buildup can damage your water heater. The sediment can corrode the tank or heating element, resulting in leaks or even complete failure. Flushing your water heater regularly can prevent this damage.
As experts in our field, we can’t help mentioning how important a water alarm is for your water heater. If you’ve ever had or known anyone who had a major water leak or flood in the home, you know it can be one of the most destructive and expensive problems to encounter as a homeowner. Between the cost and inconvenience, if there was a way to avoid it altogether, wouldn’t you want to know?
A water leak alarm can offer several benefits, like early leak detection, protection of valuables, and lower homeowners insurance premiums. Water alarms are easily installed as a stand-alone unit or combined with a sump pump to alert you of flooding. With today’s technological advancements, a properly installed water alarm can alert you via text, email, or phone. The sooner you’re aware of any potential leak, the quicker you can respond.
Installing a water alarm and flushing your water heater are important maintenance tasks that can save you money on energy bills, extend the life span of your water heater, improve water quality, and prevent costly damage. It’s recommended that you flush your water heater at least once a year, although homes with hard water or high sediment levels may need to flush more often.
If you’re not sure how to flush your water heater, call (703) 690-0449 to get one of our expert plumbers out to your home for free.