If you come downstairs to find a flood of biblical proportions, that's a surefire way to tell that your pipes are leaking! But homeowners in Northern Virginia (and anywhere for that matter) would rather be aware of pipes BEFORE they burst! Much like your body gives you small indications you’re getting sick, your pipes give off warning signs that they're about to blow! To keep your home safe and comfortable this winter and watch out for these warning signs of a plumbing leak:
• Running water sounds. If you hear the sound of water even when no one in your home is doing the dishes or taking a shower, you may have pipes that are beginning to leak. A no-brainer rule is that if you hear running water, it’s probably running somewhere.
• Unusually high water bills. Don’t just assume someone’s been falling asleep in the shower. Water bills shouldn’t vary much from month to month. If you’re starting to see spikes, it may be due to a leak. Compare your water bills from the same month last year to see if it’s jumped.
• Wet spots. Keep an eye out for moist spots or discolored areas in your flooring. If nothing has been spilled, these spots may be caused by leaking pipes. Take notice if the spots occur on the floor near sinks, tubs or other large pipelines.
• Musty smells. Leaking pipes cause damp spots, damp spots cause mold...and we all know that mold smells! Not only does it give off an unpleasing aroma, but it can be dangerous to inhale. If you’ve got a musty smell around your home despite frequent cleaning, you may have leaking pipes. Try to sniff out the source of the odor and see where it’s strongest. That can help you narrow down the source.
• Foundation cracks. It’s normal for houses to settle over the years, but if you’re suddenly starting to notice cracks in your foundation it may be due to a leak. Water leached from leaking pipes can weaken foundations and structural components of your home, causing foundations or walls to crack.
If any of these symptoms sound familiar, you may have a leak situation. Don’t wait for the floodgates to open, call. F.H. Furr today and have a plumber come out to your home for free! Contact us to schedule a consultation to stop the problem before it starts!