Question submitted by Danny B. Fairfax, VA.
Danny, okay so we do have to offer a caveat here: if you’re reading this blog, you’ve already found the best plumber in Fairfax, Va. But in case you aren’t convinced – or if you live in, say, Texas, but somehow stumbled upon our blog, we’ll tell you how to find the best plumber in your area.
- DO ask for referrals. People who have received either really good or really bad service are usually happy to share their experiences with you. This is the most important step you can take. Whether good or bad, personal experience is the best indicator of what to expect from your plumber.
- DO ask for recommendations from other contractors who have worked on your house. The guy that did a great job on your flooring probably knows a good plumber. If you haven’t had much work done on your home, ask someone at a local hardware store. They may be able to supply you with the name of a trustworthy plumber.
- DO insist on a free home visit for an estimate and DO get an estimate in writing. If a plumbing company refuses to do this for you, refuse to do business with them. Period.
- DO get several estimates and DON’T be swayed by a low price. One company may have noticed something another plumber missed that could cause the final price to be the same.
- DON’T make an advance payment. Some plumbers may require a small deposit up front, which is completely kosher, but NEVER pay in full until the work has been completed to your satisfaction.
- DO ask how long they’ve been in business. While newer companies may still do a good job, a company that’s been in business longer is more likely to perform quality work.
- DO ask how long the particular plumber has been with the company. While this is not a foolproof indicator (young guys can do great work, too!), it can give you an idea of the plumber’s experience and of his satisfaction with the company.
- DO ask if they have a guarantee. Reputable companies want you to be satisfied and will generally offer a guarantee.
Use these guidelines, and you‘ll be well on your way to finding a great plumber. And if you live in Fairfax, Va., or the surrounding areas, contact F.H. Furr Plumbing, Heating and Air Conditioning – we can isolate, repair, and prevent leaks in the future with the best equipment and experience around.
Danny, we appreciate your question and hope that you feel confident that you've already found the plumber that's right for you!